The Sports Excellence Center of the 1st Orthopaedic Department of the Medical School of the National & Kapodistrian University of Athens (EKPA), which is exclusively supported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF), in addition to its contribution to high-level sports (pre-national, national teams and Olympic teams of all sports) announces the launch of the “Therapeutic Exercise-Action for Cancer” program aimed at patients with malignant neoplasms, namely (1) breast, (2) lung, (3) intestine, (4) genitourinary system and (5) musculoskeletal system.
The Benefits of Exercise
The fight against cancer is a long process. According to recent studies, a very small percentage of cancer patients participate in exercise programs despite the fact that adding exercise to a cancer patient’s daily routine has been shown to significantly improve their physical and psychological condition and in many cases increase life expectancy.
EXERCISE is THERAPY and patients need:
- Continuous Feedback
- Continuous Control
- Easy Access to Programs
Purpose: Providing a Personalized Program to Cancer Patients
Our aim is to create a personalized exercise program that covers all stages of the disease (pre-surgery, post-surgery, chemotherapy and recovery), different ages and different fitness levels.
The staff supporting the program consists of university doctors, physical education scientists, physical therapists as well as the necessary administrative staff.
The selection of the patient for his participation in the program, as well as his monitoring throughout, is based on a scientifically documented process. The basic criterion is that the interested party has the written consent of the treating oncologist as well as the cardiologist that they can exercise.
Indicative Operation Mode of the Therapeutic Exercise Centre
- Evaluation by a Doctor, Physiotherapist and Physical Education Teacher
- Monitoring of biochemical indicators at the start, during and at the end of the program
- Anthropometric control and body composition
- Assessment of fitness level
- Program start – duration 12 weeks (3 times a week)
- Creation of an electronic medical record
- Additional monitoring through electronic questionnaires
- At the end of each session subjective fatigue and performance will be recorded
- Patients who have completed 6 weeks (end of first mesocycle) of follow-up will be re-evaluated
- Educational lectures
- Continuous Feedback
- Upon completion of the program (12 weeks), a three-month exercise program will be given with the aim of continuing the exercise which can also be monitored online
- Re-evaluation at 6 and 9 months after completion of the program
Expected Outcome for Participants
Participants can improve their physical and mental condition reduce the feeling of pain and the side effects of treatment
The exercise features are designed based on the latest scientific information.
The inclusion of exercise in the patient’s daily life improves his quality of life.
The strong points of the program are the direct access and the application of personalized therapeutic exercise methods.
Contact number : 695 5190 208
E-mail : email@example.com